...is no joke. While going through this season of my life, I've often wondered how our foremothers did not instantly drop dead or go insane upon the first hot flash. For those who have not had the pleasure, please allow me to describe a hot flash for you.
An engine, located just below your belly button, begins to build steam in your upper body without even asking if it's a good time and it's probably a really bad time. The steam has no means of escaping because your pores have locked themselves shut. One would think that this state of being would be uncomfortable enough, but alas it's not, so a bonfire is lit at your heals which then progresses up the back of your legs and spine at just the right pace to be described as, well, torturous. The steamy burn continues, crawling up your neck, and heading toward your forehead where it will settle for about 30 seconds. If your lucky, yes I said lucky, your skin will be kind to you, pores will open, steam will be released and you will break into an embarrassing sweat. If not, the bellowing vapor will rush down the front of your body, dissipating somewhere around the top of your belly button. At his time the steam really is released and rushes out through the pores that have opened to the size of egg yolks, which puts out the fire and causing sweating in places you did not know you could. The rapid temperature change will have you reaching for your Parka.
Because I am so blessed to be surrounded by family and friends that love me, and I want to keep it that way, I have found a few natural products that help immensely. I do not have a Ph.D behind my name, I am not a herbalist and am receiving no financial gain. I just wanted to share what I've learned and if it works for you, please pay it forward.
1. 1/4 cup of freshly ground flaxseeds every morning. Pick up a coffee grinder just for this purpose. Whole flax seeds can be found at most health food stores. 1/8 cup of whole seeds = 1/4 cup of ground.
2. Female Formula by Dr. Shultz, www.herbdoc.com. Taken as directed on bottle.
3. FemmenessencePro by Natural Health International. Take as directed.
4. Pro-Gest by emerita. This is the one I use, however, I imagine that there are others out there.
5. Acupuncture. Every body is different. For me, I went about five sessions in a row and felt great. After that, it varies, but on average I usually have two consecutive treatments every three or four months.
And then there is the magic formula for almost everything - exercise, eat lots of vegetables and lean protein.
Physical issues aside, creatively and spiritually I have found this season of my life to be pretty cool. And everyone gives me a pass on the crazy because, (in a whisper please) "she's going through the change."